Icy blast chills Salanians, Emperor goes to contest

« Older   Newer »
Fael57
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/12/2010, 13:43

The first winter storm of the season hit Salania on Saturday, December 11. The day started off at about 45 degrees with light rain. However, the winds picked up during the day as a cold front moved in. Gusts of up to 40 miles per hour were felt around the region. At about 2:30, light snow began. Coupled with the wind, it was a bit harrowing to say the least. By nightfall, the temperature was about 15 degrees, with wind chills of around 0.

When Sunday dawned, the area was a frozen wasteland, with around 2 inches of snow piled into magnificent drifts. The wind continued to whip across the countryside. Temperatures struggled to reach 20 degrees, and the wind chill was much lower. Despite the appearance of the sun, the bitter cold remained.

Today, the Imperial thermometer says 5 degrees, and estimated wind chill is about -10. Luckily, though, no extremely serious accidents or power outages have yet been caused by this storm. Experts say that it would have been considerably worse if we would have gotten a few more inches of snow, and many roads near my house would be drifted over. The Trans-Salanian Highway maintenance crews have not been mobilized.

Salanians are encouraged to remain indoors as much as possible and to keep furnaces and woodstoves running. One official commented, “I don’t see what you’re all complaining about. It’s perfectly fine Antarctican weather!”.

In other news, the Emperor participated in a school speech contest on Saturday, where he received second place in his event out of about 20 competitors. His school also received second place overall, and now has a trophy.

Alexander Connery
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/12/2010, 13:54

Congratulations! This reminds me when I did the fencing competitions :rolleyes:

Fael57
CAT_IMG Posted on 13/12/2010, 23:06

Thank you, and congrats on fencing :D

2 replies since 13/12/2010, 13:43   27 views